Belize Is Open For Travel
Do you offer rapid antigen testing on site? Yes!
Laru Beya Resort has coordinated offering antigen testing for visitors returning to the United States which will now require a negative test result upon re-entry. Details about testing can be found under the Covid-19 United States Entry Requirements section on this page.
Are you open? Yes!
‘Is Belize open for travel?’ is one of the most common questions that we receive, and we are glad that we can offer an enthusiastic ‘Yes’! This question is often followed by asking, ‘What are the Belize travel restrictions?’. We have created this page to answer this question and make it easy to find all the answers you need to make your trip to Belize simple and safe. If you have any queries after reading this page, please contact us to discuss them — we are here to help.
New & Improved Health Standards
Prior to the reopening, the Government of Belize implemented a Tourism Gold Standard which requires enhanced hotel and restaurant cleaning practices, social interaction guidelines, workplace policies, and standard operating procedures, while ensuring minimal impact on the guest experience. Laru Beya and our sister resorts have all achieved the Tourism Gold Standard Certification. Also, this video provides more information about our low contact check-in.
Covid-19 Belize Entry Requirements
The graphic below from the Tourism Board summaries arrival procedures and any Belize travel restrictions. Under the graphic, you will find more details. Kindly note, procedures can change, so it’s best to check with the Belize Tourism Board site for the most up to date information.
Entering Belize – More Details:
The Government of Belize made a number of modifications when the International Airport reopened in the fall of 2020. There are a few things that you need to be aware of before your arrival:
- Effective Monday, August 9th, 2021 all travelers, both vaccinated and unvaccinated, entering Belize from other countries will be required to present a negative COVID-19 test. PCR test taken within 96 hours of travel or a negative result from any approved Antigen Rapid Test taken within 48 hours of travel. If no test is presented, a COVID-19 test will be administered at the airport for a fee of USD $50 per passenger. Only cash is being accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available. Children under the age of 5 years will not be required to present a negative test; but children 5 years and older will be required to present a negative test.
FAQ from the Office of the Director of Health Services, Belize:
- For coming into Belize, are travelers required to bring a printed test result or will a soft copy on their phone do? PRINTED PREFERRED
- After several travel updates, are these still the only approved rapid tests? Sophia, SD Biosensor, ABBOT (Panbio) Covid-19 test? YES, ONLY THESE TEST ARE APPROVED
- Are tests that are sold in US pharmacies acceptable? NO
- Are there any test options other than the nose swab? NO
- Can I just do the spit test? NO RAPID SPIT TEST
Upon Arrival in BZE – More Details:
- You will disembark the plane – wearing a face mask – and proceed to health screening. Throughout travel in Belize, you are required to wear a mask, while in public spaces and at the resort’s shared public spaces as well as maintain social distancing.
- If you brought along your negative COVID-19 PCR test, you will proceed to the ‘fast track’ lane for Immigration & Customs processing. After clearing Immigration and Customs, continue to the domestic airline, Maya Island Air, to check in and board your local flight. Depending on your health screening, you may be randomly selected for secondary testing.
- If you were unable to bring the results of a RT-PCR or approved rapid Covid-19 test, you will be required to proceed to the testing area for a COVID-19 test. Testing is at the passengers’ expense and costs US$50.00. Only cash is being accepted at this time; credit card machines and ATMs are not available.
- Testing at the airport will be done on a “Swab and Go” basis for tourists that will be staying in Gold Standard hotels.
- Only positive cases will receive notification from the Ministry of Health within 24 hours at our Gold Standard hotel. Any positive tourist can quarantine at our Gold Standard hotel; quarantine is at the passengers’ expense and the Ministry of Health must provide clearance for you to leave quarantine.
- After being cleared by Health Officials, proceed to Immigration and Customs, and then exit the airport via the Tourism Safe Corridor using Gold Standard or certified air or ground transportation.
- If you are placed into quarantine, our cancellation and rescheduling policies still apply. If you are required to be quarantined while at the resort for an extended period of time, the resort will provide a discounted rate for accommodations and meals, pending availability. Kindly note this may involve a room change.
- In the case of a display of symptoms while at the resort, you will be required to quarantine at the traveler’s expense.
- We do not recommend traveling to Belize if you have displayed symptoms of COVID-19 in the last 14 days prior to your arrival date. This will prevent you having to quarantine in Belize for an extended period of time.
- More information regarding entry requirements can be found on the Belize Tourism site: https://www.belizetourismboard.org/news-and-gallery/belize-covid-19-update/ and https://www.travelbelize.org/health-safety. As well as our resort policies which include necessary COVID-19 updates: https://www.larubeya.com/policies/.
Covid-19 United States Entry Requirements
Laru Beya Resort has coordinated offering antigen testing for visitors returning to the United States which will now require a negative test result upon re-entry.
- Tests will be conveniently administered on property at least 72 hours prior to departure by a testing team and CDC-approved 3rd party laboratory so you can enjoy your vacation with peace of mind.
- Testing will be scheduled upon arrival to the resort, will be coordinated in accordance with testers availability and offered at your own expense.
- Upon completion of testing, guests can select electronic results as well as obtain a sealed, printed copy.
- In the event of a positive diagnosis, our resort has Covid-19 protocols in place for a guest to quarantine in the comfort of our resort at a discounted rate inclusive of accommodations meals, pending availability. Kindly note this may involve a room change. Contact your reservation specialists directly for additional information. It is our priority to ensure that guests are comfortable until they test with a negative result to depart following governmental and safety guidelines.
Laru Beya Resort Health & Safety Plan
For the safety of our guests and staff, we have implemented a series of Covid-19 resort precautionary measures to ensure the health and well being while maintaining a warm & welcoming environment as follows:
- Social distancing and the use of face masks while in public spaces
- Low contact check-in & out procedures
- Hand sanitizing stations across the property
- Enhanced room cleaning & disinfecting and increased sanitization of public spaces and high touch surfaces
- Daily health checks for guests and employees
- Due to the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, tour schedules and availability may be altered. The Front Desk will confirm your tours upon checking in and we will do our best to offer alternative options!
- Guests are encouraged to remain within the Belize safe corridor and to deal with Gold Standard tour operators, restaurants, tour sites, gift shops and certified transportation while in Belize. Our Gold Standard property offers full service amenities (restaurant, bar, pool, direct beach access, and onsite activities).
The following contact info and links have other helpful information for traveling to Belize and safety procedures the country is putting into place.