Belize Wedding Requirements
A Belizean marriage is legal everywhere in the world. We can help you with either a civil or religious ceremony. Belize welcomes lovers with very few requirements, getting married in Belize is a straightforward process and it is only a two or three hour flight from several major cities in the US. Below are the requirements for getting married in Belize.
- A couple must be in the country for a minimum of three days (72 hours) prior to their marriage license application.
- On the first business day after this three-day residency period, the marriage application can be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.
- The application process is one day and requires proof of citizenship, passport or birth certificate, original divorce certificate or death certificate, if applicable, and a Senior Justice of the Peace to witness the signing of the application.
- After the one day application processing period the license to marry will be ready. Weddings must be performed by either a Senior Justice of the Peace who has authority to marry people or a Minister of a registered church. There must also be two witnesses, a male and a female.
- A blood test is not required. Consent from a parent is not required if both partners are over 18 years of age.
- The marriage must be registered with the Registry Department after the marriage ceremony has been completed.
- We will assist you with your marriage license and the formal registration of your marriage. This processing takes about 5-6 weeks and your certificate will be mailed after. Please note that weddings around the Christmas Holiday will require more processing time.
Embrace Belize’s relaxed atmosphere and warm temperature by dressing in light, comfortable clothing. Belize has an average temperature of 79 degrees Fahrenheit (26 degrees Celsius). The “dry season” is between February and May, while the wet season brings occasional showers between June and November. Keep the season in mind in case you need to pack a rain jacket for your Belize wedding.