Belize Wedding Requirements
Belizean marriage is legal everywhere in the world
How would you describe the most perfect wedding in the most perfect location? Would you say you want to be married in an intimate setting surrounded by beautiful, tropical trees, birds singing overhead, and a waterfall as a backdrop? Would you want to be married by a ship’s captain on a sailboat, floating over the world’s second-largest barrier reef, and then gazing into the azure blue waters below? Do you want to be married on a beautiful white-sand beach with your friends and family around you? What if your perfect wedding ceremony meant standing beside a breath-taking Mayan ruin to take your vows?
If those amazing and unique scenes come even close to where you would want to look into your partner’s eyes, exchange rings, and say “I do”, then Laru Beya Beach Resort is for you.
Laru Beya is right on the beach at the southern end of Placencia Peninsula in southern Belize. Our award-winning luxury resort is just a two hour flight from Miami or Houston, followed by a pleasant drive to our resort, that is just minutes from the little fishing village of Seine Bight, and seconds from paradise.
We can help you arrange your perfect wedding, whether it is just for the two of you or for a large party of family and friends. We can also make your honeymoon perfect, too. Stay in one of our ocean-front rooms, with your own hammock on your deck, in a multi-roomed suite or in a penthouse with your own private roof-top hot tub. Swim, snorkel, kayak, take trips into the jungle or search the many Mayan ruins. Exchange smiles with the local residents and learn more about our Garifuna culture.
It is all waiting for you in Laru Beya Beach Resort.
Arranging Your Belize Wedding
Arranging the legal side of things is easy. Your Belize marriage ceremony is valid throughout the world. We can help you with everything, of course, but just so you know the practicalities, here they are:
- You must both be in Belize for three days before you apply for your marriage license. (If that is not possible, you can obtain, for an extra fee, a special license)
- You get your application forms from the Registrar General’s Office in Belize City (Tel: 011 501 223 5625) or from the Solicitor General’s office. We can have the application forms ready for you, when you arrive. The signed applications must be presented to the office during normal business hours
- You must have proof of identity – your passports (showing your date of entry into Belize) and originals or certified copies (with raised seals) of birth certificates. If either of you is also divorced or widowed, Belize requires you to produce originals or certified copies (with raised seals) of the appropriate documents
- The application process takes two days to complete, and you are free to marry on the following day. You must then record your marriage with the Registrar General
- Wedding ceremonies can be conducted by a Justice of the Peace, a church minister or a ship’s captain. (The minister must be associated with a registered church)
- Your ceremony must be attended by two witnesses – either from your own wedding party, or members of our staff, if you prefer. Both witnesses must have proof of age, to show they are over 18
- If you are over eighteen (18) years of age, you do not need parental consent
- You do not need a blood test